Thursday, March 8, 2012

Procrastination

As the title of this post so aptly put it I am a procrastinator. Not intentionally mind you, I intend to get  things done in a timely manner- just at another time, as is obvious by my lack of articles lately.
I sit down to my work - and emails need to be read and responded to, then there are the notifications from facebook that let me know I should check out friends there. Everyone and everything seems to be calling me away from my purpose of placing another article on the page.The next thing I know, I have traveled the internet from "stem to stern", have never left my desk and sadly, have still to write my article. Then as just happened about three hours ago family responsibilities call me away and the temptation to "wait and write tomarrow" comes over me.But tonight, for it is night now, I will perservere and complete the task I set out to do today at lunch!

As I sit and think about it,if I am not careful, my spiritual days can follow that same pattern. I am tempted to be the same procrastinator. Setting out to witness to someone and being sidetracked by a phonecall from a friend or family member to meet for lunch or something--resolving today that I will start to read my Bible through this year- yet going to bed after a hard day with the promise to do better "tomarrow". Then day follows day and my good intentions get pushed to the background by the day to day routine of interruptions. And that is what they are-routine interruptions.The ones that Satan is so adept at placing in just the right spot at just the right time to distract and ultimately deter me.These interruptions have just enough variety to them that if I am not careful I won't notice the daily routine.

How about you? When you think of the past few months or weeks, can you think of any "interruptions that have become routine at keeping you from spiritual growth or service? I Peter 5:8 tells us to be sober, be vigilant(always on the lookout) Why? because your adversary (your enemy) the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.
I ask you to remember that lions hunt in prides. Just as it isn't always the lion that is roaring that brings the prey down-- Satan does not hunt alone either.The demon that is stalking just out of sight is lethal as well. It is only through the perservering of faith that we--you and I will be able to resist.

No comments: