Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Who to Follow?!

God has a plan for all our lives; the Psalmist David said God knew us before we were formed in the womb. You may say,"But that was King David, he did great and mighty things for God!" Yes, he did, but in Isaiah you hear the same thing. In the book of Job, you hear the same thing. Elsewhere in the scripture you read that God is no respecter of persons. That means that he looks at one of us the same as he looks at all of us.

We Christians are His children: He doesn't play favorites. He wants us to trust Him completely with where his plan will take us. He wants us to trust Him to guide our steps.

"For this God is our God for ever and ever: he will be our Guide even unto death." Ps. 48:14

If you look up the word 'guide' in the dictionary you will find that it means 'one who shows the way' or 'one who goes before'. Again and again in scripture you can read that God goes before his people. He moves on our behalf. David in Psalm 71 says that  even before he was born he relied on God. He depended on Him for safety and care. God never failed him. He tells of times when he (David) failed God, but God never failed him. this is how it is for all Christians. We may and do, fail God: but He is always there for us.

There is a catch, or condition--if you can call it that: God cannot lead someone who will not follow. We must be willing to follow where God leads. Paul tells us that if we are willing, that is all that is required.

 "For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath,  and not according to that he hath not."  2 Corinthians 8:12

In this verse God lets us know that a willing mind is all He requires of us. He is great enough to supply all the rest. In order for you to follow, you must be able to recognise the guide. You must be able to distinguish who is real and who is a deceiver. This means spending time in God's Word getting to know Him personally and the methods He uses to lead.

In my youth I struggled with where I fit into God's plan. I listened and I watched other women. I wasted lots of time and energy as I tried to follow someone else. About the time I thought I had found my place, and I 'had this business of doing God's business down',someone would tell me I was wrong--and have the scripture to prove it! I have learned after much flustration, that the problem was not them, it was me. I was trying to follow the wrong guide. I have learned since then to look to God first and learn how He leads.

Jesus tells us all to "take my yoke upon you and learn of me" Many years have passed since that day God showed me that when I follow him, everything else falls away and the path is clear. I can stand today and point you not to me but to God: because God's plan for your life may not , and probably is not the same, as His plan for me. He is the true Guide, learn how He leads, and never stop following Him.

No comments: